Liposuction also known as Lipoplasty is a cosmetic procedure used to remove unwanted fat from specific areas of the body. This procedure reshapes the body’s silhouette. It is not an alternative to weight loss. Our doctors are specialists in the latest techniques including Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuctioning (UAL).
Liposuction is used to remove localized fat collections from patients at an average weight, with healthy, elastic skin. For individuals that maintain a reasonable diet and exercise frequently but find that they still cannot get rid of fat in their midsection, liposuction may be an option.
If, however, you suffer from obesity, cellulite, or loose sagging skin, liposuction would likely not help you. For obesity or cellulite problems, consult your doctor about exercise and other treatment options. For loose or sagging skin, a Miami tummy tuck may be an option.
- Liposuction is an outpatient procedure.
- Your surgeon may suggest intravenous sedation for anesthesia.
- There are various techniques for liposuction. Your surgeon will recommend which is best for you.
- Suction-assisted liposuction is the traditional method. A cannula is inserted through a small incision made through the skin. Fat is removed by vacuum pressure.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL) is a liposuction technique which uses ultrasound waves to break up and liquefy fat cells. The fat is then suctioned out.
- UAL is used where denser fat is present, or when larger volumes are removed.
Good Candidates For Liposuction
The best liposuction candidates are those who have pockets of fat that aren’t eliminated with diet and exercise, are in good physical and emotional health and are within a normal weight range. At your consultation, your doctor will stress that liposuction is not to be used as a method to lose weight. In addition, your surgeon will explain in detail what the actual procedure will encompass. The goal is to ensure your complete comfort and confidence in our highly trained staff.
- You have localized fat unresponsive to diet and exercise.
- You are of normal weight.
- You are in good physical and emotional health.
- You have firm, elastic skin.
- You have realistic expectations.
Your Liposuction Consultation
During your initial consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and staff. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Photographs may be taken for your medical record. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and whether or not additional procedures will be necessary for you to achieve your desired results. Recovery time, risks and limitations associated with surgery will be also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review surgical costs and scheduling with you. Contact us for a consultation to find out more about our liposuction in Miami procedures and what will work for you.